OEM Director/Fire Services Coordinator
P. O. Box 777
105 S. Berry St.
Yellville, AR 72687
The Office of Emergency Management coordinates all resources associated with disasters and works with all the local volunteer fire departments.
Preparedness on a Budget
- Place drinking water in containers (milk jugs, large soda bottles) and fill up your bath tub before a storm.
- Fill open plastic containers about 2/3 full of water and freeze in your ice box/freezer. Do NOT cover the plastic containers so that the frozen water can expand and not crack the container.
- The blocks of ice will maintain your freezer items cold longer, should electric power go out.
- If there is a "Boil Water Order" and you have run out of bottled water, bring water to a boil for one minute to purify. You may also purify tap water by adding 8 drops of unscented bleach per gallon or by using water purification tablets.
- Eat perishable items first - throwaway anything in doubt or unrefrigerated.
- Combine resources with family/friends/neighbors.
- Top off your car's gas tank - avoid waiting in long lines with vehicle engine running.]
- Use 2 for 1 coupons when buying canned and other non-perishable items. Put one in your pantry and one in your disaster kit.
- Buy generic and buy in bulk! PET ITEMS TOO!
Home Repair After the Storm If your home is damaged and you are hiring a home repair contractor, the Consumer Services Department offers a checklist of to-dos to get you started on rebuilding your home.
- File a claim with your insurance company.
- Document everything and take photos
- Know your contractor. Call references and beware of scams.
- Check complaint history with consumer protection agencies.
- Check the license and insurance.
- Obtain at least three estimates.
- Get promises in writing.
- Avoid paying large sums of money up front.
- Pay by credit card instead of cash.
FOR MORE INFORMATION YOU CAN CLICK ON THESE HELPFUL LINKS: